Σάββατο 28 Μαΐου 2011

The Fine Art of Bougatsa Eating (recipes included,vegan variety too)



Yesterday was bougatsa day out with my two youngest sons.

(What is bougatsa)?






They had minced meat bougatsa, and cream bougatsa washed down with chocolate milk.I had spinach and cheese bougatsa washed down with french coffee.
In between each mouthful my kids played and helped each other put together a puzzle-like thing.

(Tip #1:If you want younger kids to behave in public cafes and restaurants,bring along a new toy or game to keep them happy.It needn't be anything expensive,I bought this one in the local thrifty shop for 1 euro).






I just relaxed and watched passers-by from the window pane.
I pretended they were aliens disguised as humans and I was trying to guess which planet they came from.I had to limit my imagination to only six planets though, for simplicity's sake.I must say,most of them looked like they came from Despondent Planet,compared to only one guy coming from Sexy Planet.

(Tip #2:If you are bored shitless in a place where there isn't much for you to do (and there's no iPod in sight),use your imagination to keep yourself occupied and happy).




My hometown Serres is famous for its bougatsa (pronounced with a soft g,as in 'yeast').




Actually,the best bougatsa you can find is made in Serres.The worst you can possibly find is made in Athens.(It's true.Even my husband who comes from Athens agrees to that statement).Even worse,they don't even know that bougatsa comes in many varieties there.Ask for a serving of bougatsa in my town and the next automatic question is ''What kind "?Ask the same question anywhere else southern than Thessaloniki and they'll automatically serve you cream bougatsa of a nondescript taste.

(Tip #3:If you want to try a local dish and get the authentic taste,best to sample it locally).

In fact Serres' bougatsa even earned a place in the Guiness Book of records for the largest bougatsa ever baked three years ago.







  
You can have bougatsa anytime in the day,but it is usually served for breakfast with coffee at local bougatsa-cafe shops on the streets








                           or eaten as you are walking on your way to work or school









or wrapped up as a takeaway.






(Tip#4:Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.There is no excuse whatsoever for you not to have any,even if you don't care much about preparing it yourself).



And here's a recipe for vegan bougatsa by a nostalgic greek expatriate blogger for the more health conscious among you.


I can probably say that bougatsa is my comfort food.I remember craving it like mad when I was pregnant with my firstborn.Immediately after getting married off we went (me and hubby) for a 5-week honeymoon to northern Italy.Week four into our vacation and already a week and a half late I started experiencing ongoing nausea symptoms alternating with cravings for certain foods.Imagine being in a gondola in a venetian canal and the most romantic thing you could think of your husband doing for you at that moment was either making that damn boat stop rocking you sick or finding you some decent bougatsa to eat!

(Tip#5:If you are pregnant and travelling away from your country be sure to have a handy supply of your comfort food with you or at least a good recipe for it)!







Love,peace and delicious food

Eirini

pictures taken from all the above linked sites and from here



Be my Facebook friend!

1 σχόλιο:

Comments